1. I’m wondering if he is available ____ the job.
A. at B. on C. to D. for
2. _____ they dislike the speech, they should keep quiet.
A. Even B. However C. Moreover D. However much
3. Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao chatted with each child suffering from aids, listening to them and ___ them to face their difficulties bravely and be confident.
A. encourage B. to encourage C. encouraging D. encourages
4. Every girl student and every boy student in our school ____ to wear their school uniform on weekdays.
A. is required B. are required C. is requested D. are requested
5. ______ employees feel about work, their primary motivation to work is to earn a living.
A. Whenever B. No matter what C. Whatever D. No matter how
6. Some of the passengers appear _____ in the accident.
A. to injure B. to have been injured C. to be injured D. being injured
7. It was the incident that he was involved ______ worried him.
A. that B. in what C. in that D. in which
8. The popular song is thought to be the best of its kind _____.
A. having known B. being known C. having been known D. ever known
9. _____ the city lies the famous beautiful mountain.
A. Southeast 40 miles to B. To 40 miles southeast of
C. 40 miles southeast of D. To southeast 40 miles of
10. The Internet is an important channel of learning more information, but many people use it for ____ than to send and receive emails.
A. another B. other C. the other D. no other
11. He learned to speak the language so quickly and well that he ____ have been taken for a native speaker.
A. must B. could C. should D. need
12. The idea for the new machine came to Mr. Baker ____ to his invention recently.
A. while devoting B. while devoted C. while he was devoted D. while devoting himself
13. The bank is located ____ 180, Kinston Avenue, Northern District.
A. in B. on C. at D. across
14. Seeing that they are very busy, we choose to leave quickly in case we ____ be in the way.
A. must B. can C. shall D. should
15. I can think of many cases ____ students obviously knew a lot of English words and expressions but couldn’t write good essays.
A. why B. which C. as D. where
16. An army spokesman stressed that all the soldiers had been ordered ____ clear warnings before firing any shots.
A. to issue B. being issued C. to have issued D. to be issued
17. ---Dad, I’ve finished my assignment.
--- Good, and _______ you play or watch TV, you mustn’t disturb me.
A. whenever B. whether C. whatever D. no matter
18. The police delayed making any announcement until the girl’s relatives ________.
A. had contacted B. had been contacted C. contacted D. has been contacted
19. The naughty boy has cried wolf many times. Hardly ___ him when he says that he is in trouble.
A. anybody believes B. does anybody believe C. has anybody believed D. will anybody believe
20. People always shake hands and say “How do you do?” when ___ to each other.
A. introducing B. to be introducing C. to introduce D. introduced
21. These are terms used in digital electronics to designate the basic logical operations _____ digital systems are founded.
A. of which B. on which C. in which D. at which
22. The last half of the 20th century ____ the fast development in updating the Internet.
A. witnessed B. had witnessed C. was witnessed D. was to witness
23. ______ at their first meeting by his wisdom and humor, the chairman immediately invited him to attend the coming Science Conference.
A. Striking B. To strike C. Stricken D. Having stricken
24. He had thought there was a lot about his business in the magazine, but when he opened it he found ___.
A. nothing B. none C. no one D. no
25. It is reported that concern over more terrorist attacks ____ in setting back the peace process.
A. always results B. always result C. has always resulted D. have always resulted
26. ____ feeling he will have if he has free admission to the 2010 World Expo in Shanghai!
A. How a terrific B. What a terrific C. What terrific D. How terrific
27. My mind wasn’t on what the teacher was saying, so I’m afraid I ____ some of the important points.
A. had missed B. missed C. was missing D. will miss
28. There ______ be any trouble in winning the first prize in the singing competition next month since you have got so well prepared.
A. needn’t B. shan’t C. mustn’t D. shouldn’t
29. An increasing number of people are paying different bills ___ the Net, which brings them a lot of convenience.
A. by B. in C. on D. for
30. Schools have been lengthening the school day or added days to raise test marks, which ____ be costly if schools need air conditioning on hot days.
A. might B. can C. must D. need
31. As Senior Three students, we are supposed to know how we should adjust ourselves to ____ sure we are in the proper mental state.
A. make B. making C. made D. to be made
32. The examination was continued at the beginning of the new term, _____ was announced on January 29.
A. what B. as C. which D. that
33. Many of us dream of having thousands and thousands of dollars to spend on _____ we desire. Can money buy happiness?
A. something B. everything C. anything D. nothing
34. What caused the accident and who was responsible for it ______ a mystery to us.
A. remains B. remain C. remained D. is remained
35. I won’t trust ______ of the two brothers; who never keeps their word.
A. both B. neither C. each D. either
36. The job will be offered to _______ the manager thinks is capable of performing it well.
A. who B. whatever C. whomever D. whoever
37. Nobody believed his reason for being absent from the class _____ he had to meet his uncle at the airport.
A. why B. that C. where D. because
38. The pretty girl is brilliant _____ the English language. So she is superior ______ all the others in English.
A. at, to B. in, in C. at, of D. in, of
39. This leather bag is mine but _____ on the floor belong to him.
A. the one B. the ones C. one D. ones
40. It _______ that our visitors should stay at a nearby hotel.
A. arranged B. was arranged C. has arranged D. arranges
41. _______, he talks a lot about his favorite singers after class.
A. A quiet student as he may be B. Be a quiet student as he may
C. Quiet student as he may be D. Quiet as he may be student
42. The water ______ cool when I jumped into the pool for morning exercise.
A. feels B. felt C. is felt D. was felt
43. She went to bed ____.
A. in order to turn off the light B. by turning off the light
C. so the light was turned off by her D. after she turned off the light
44. When the prisoner woke up, he found that he was kept in _____ seemed to be a cell.
A. where B. which C. what D. it
45. During the two years _____ I took charge of the department, the sales of our products have grown rapidly and I am really proud of my department and my staff.
A. when B. since C. until D. while
46. Only in the past 50 years, with the revolution ___ diving equipment, have scientists been able to study deep seas closely.
A. on B. in C. at D. of
47. Often, when he ______ something useful, he wasted his time playing computer games.
A. should be doing B. must have done C. should have been doing D. shall be doing
48. With the economic crisis ______, the newly-elected German woman president is having a hard time.
A. handled B. handling C. to handle D. being handled
49. Whom would you rather ______ with you to the park, Tom or Jack?
A. going B. to go C. have go D. have gone
50. The loss of his property dealt ____ a blow to the old man ____ the rest of his life was ruined.
A. such, as B. such, that C. so, that D. so, as
51. The county is expanding its list of stores and outlets where the public can buy sandbags and sand, if _____.
A. to need B. needing C. to be needed D. needed
52. He was educated at the local high school, ____ he went on to Beijing University.
A. after which B. after that C. in which D. in that
53. The staff ___ chatting cheerfully during the coffee break.
A. was B. were C. have been D. has been
54. _____ his wealth, he was still very careful with his money.
A. For all B. Even though C. After all D. Although
55. Some of the passengers appear ____ in the accident.
A. to injure B. to be injured C. to have been injured D. being injured
56. A colorful parade of boats through canals ___ with hundreds of spectators ____ tourists to the city.
A. will be lined… welcoming B. lined… welcoming
C. being lined… welcome D. lined… welcome
57. ____ objected to the plan at the meeting yesterday?
A. Do you know who B. Who you think C. Whom do you think D. Do you suppose who
58. Don’t get close to ____ fire, or your clothes will catch ____ fire.
A. /,/ B. the, a C. /, a D. the, /
59. Mr. Green ______ my letter, otherwise he would have replied before now.
A. mustn’t have received B. couldn’t have received C. needn’t receive D. might not receive
60. The door ____ into a large hall which can hold dozens of people.
A. is opened B. is opening C. has opened D. opens
61. If you can get to the top safety, ____ is a good chance that you can finish the game successfully.
A. such B. there C. what D. which
62. It’s true that the old furniture isn’t stylish or modern. We won’t buy the new furniture, ____, because it may prove too costly.
A. therefore B. somehow C. though D. either
63. _____ would be the next host city of the World Cup?
A. Which country did you suppose B. Which country did you suppose that
C. Did you suppose which country D. Did you suppose that which country
64. I just don’t understand ____ that prevents so many Americans from being as happy as one might expect.
A. why it does B. what it does C. what it is D. why it is
65. The young man ____ at present was injured in a traffic accident.
A. operated on B. having been operated on C. being operated on D. operating on
66. Please give the book to ______ wins the first prize.
A. who B. whom C. whoever D. whomever
67. It is a well-known fact ___ a negative working environment reveals creativity.
A. which B. what C. why D. that
68. He woke suddenly ____ a start.
A. to B. of C. with D. at
69. This is the third time that he ____ of the changes of the meeting.
A. is informed B. was informed C. has been informed D. had been informed
70. Iceland lies far north in the Atlantic, with its northern most tip actually ____ Arctic Circle.
A. touches B. touched C. touching D. being touched
71. She is looking forward as much to his return as himself to _____ her.
A. see B. seeing C. have seen D. be seen
72. I’m sorry I can’t help ____ the floor of the classroom.
A. sweeping B. to sweeping C. swept D. to sweep
73. I don’t think the film is ____ the one we saw last week.
A. as good as or better than B. good as or better than C. as good or better than D. as good or better as
74. It’s very kind of you to give me such a wonderful book ___ I have long been looking for.
A. that B. which C. so D. as
75. No boy and no girl under the age of 12 ____ to swim in this part of the swimming pool.
A. are allowed B. to be allowed C. are to be allowed D. is allowed
76. _____ in a terrible robbery, he feels awful these days.
A. Involved B. Involving C. Having involved D. Being involved
77. ______ cats and dogs, we were trapped in a small forest cabin.
A. It was raining B. As it was raining C. It is raining D. It rained
78. Sandy could do nothing but ____ to his teacher that he was wrong.
A. admitting B. admitted C. admit D. to admit
79. I would appreciate it ___ you could call me later.
A. when B. until C. if D. that
80. The terrorists ____ suffer for what they have done.
A. shall B. would C. are going to D. will
81. ____ and the problem would be straightened out.
A. A bit more effort B. Having a little effort C. I you have a bit more effort D. There being a little effort
82. I’d like you to take my picture ___ stands the ancient tower.
A. what B. there C. that D. where
83. Each member of staff received a letter ______ their responsibilities and duties.
A. outlined B. to outline C. outlining D. to have outlined.
84. ____ follows is that Toyota will seek to eliminate the weakness in their overseas production.
A. What B. Which C. That D. Who
85. We were aware that, ____, the situation will get worse.
A. if not dealing with carefully B. if dealt not carefully with
C. if not carefully dealt with D. if not carefully dealing with
86. I don’t think it advisable that students ___ to do a lot of homework during their holidays.
A. are assigned B. will be assigned C. should be assigned D. have been assigned
87. Through long power lines electricity goes ____.
A. to the place needed B. there it is needed C. to the place it is needed D. where it is needed
88. The influence should be measured not only in terms of immediate change in behavior, but also by the extent ______ it develops a certain view of life.
A. which B. that C. to which D. in which
89. ---Hey, look where you are going!
---Oh, I’m terribly sorry, _____.
A. I’m not noticing B. I wasn’t noticing C. I haven’t noticed D. I don’t notice
90. The bell ___ the end of the period rang, ___ our heated discussion.
A. indicating, interrupted B. indicating, interrupting
C. indicated, interrupting D. indicated, interrupted
91. The accident is reported _____ on the first Sunday in December.
A. to occur B. to have occurred C. to had occurred D. to have been occurred
92. Advertising is distinguished form other forms of communication ___ the advertiser pays for the message to be delivered.
A. where B. what C. in that D. in which
93. Perseverance is a kind of quality--- and that’s ____ it takes to do anything well.
A. which B. what C. that D. how
94. Only those ____ knew well could be admitted to the party.
A. he B. that C. who D. /
95. His body kept growing, and ____ to make the best of a difficult situation.
A. so his determination did B. his determination did so
C. so did his determination D. so his determination was
96. I would expect my tape ____ which he took away from my office without being permitted.
A. to return B. returning C. returned D. to be returned
97. ____ tomorrow, our ship will set sail for Marcao.
A. However the weather is like B. However is the weather like
C. Whatever is the weather like D. Whatever the weather is like
98. Sunday was known as the day of rest, ___ the shops were shut and business closed.
A. which B. when C. in which D. /
99. ______ you are friendly, honest, and sincere, you will attract others.
A. Unless B. As long as C. Although D. Even if
100. American teenagers are not so different from ____ in China.
A. the ones B. that C. those D. /